Sunday, February 23, 2014

Totally Awesome Make-Up...

I thought I would take a break from my usual love of decor and talk about another passion of mine that I have had ever since I was a young girl...make up. I LOVE MAKE UP!!! Now I came of age during the most wonderful decade ever, the 1980's (not too biased am I? LOL), a time when people normally wore make up and some wore a bit too much. I always leaned towards make up is meant to be seen. I never went for the whole "natural look". Too me, the more unnatural the better....I loved purple eyeshadow, hot pink lip gloss,electric blue eyeliner etc. Not too mention, I also had big hair...at times very big hair.





Examples of my love of big hair and make up. circa 80's- early 90's

So now you can clearly see why I adored the 80's!! Anyway, since the time I was a young girl,perhaps even younger I was always fascinated with glamour and beauty,sparkly things(rhinestones,glitter), make-up, jewelry,hairstyling,high heels, and clothes. I think I might have inherited it from my mother. She loved all those things as well. She however didn't wear very much make up and didn't fuss with cosmetics like I did/do. She wore maybe face powder, red lipstick, sometimes mascara,eye shadow maybe if it was a very fancy occasion,rouge and she always lined her eyebrows. My mom was very glamorous and I would like to think she passed that on to me.A cousin of mine, once told me stories of my mom before I was born, when my mom was young and single. She told me how very stylish my mom was,like Audrey Hepburn she said and she also told of how photogenic she was. I know that to be true,as I have seen the proof in boxes of old photos of my parents on vacation:pictures of my mom in her bathing suit posing with a beach ball or her sitting on a rickity fence in a cowgirl hat, just to name a few.



My mom stood out in the first pic with her family.(she is the one in sunglasses) No offense to my family, but they look like country bumpkins standing next to my mom in her shades. And in the last pic, Mom is wearing a very chic black and white gown.


Anyway,my mom was quite the inspiration to me. However, we had our differences...anything too over the top or overtly sexy was not her cup of tea. She also didn't agree with me wearing make up at an early age. But, it never stopped me from sneaking out wearing it. 


I loved playing dress up. I loved playing with my Barbie dolls. I even had a Farrah Fawcett styling head that you can style her hair and do her make up. I very much enjoyed that and thought that when I grew up I might want to be a cosmetologist. Turns out I would much rather be on the receiving end getting my hair/make up done. I still like to experiment with new colors and looks. As for brands of cosmetics,in my teen years, my pocketbook could only afford drug store brands like Revlon,Maybelline, Cover Girl,L'Oreal. I preferred L'Oreal because they seemed to have more vibrant, dark colors and if felt like a more "grown up" brand. Maybelline was ok but seemed too "girl next door" and I was a bit punk and in a hurry to grow up. 

In my 20's, with a credit card and no real responsibility, I fell in love with dept. store cosmetic brands. I used Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden and clinique.However, Lancome was my all time fave. It had the same qualities I liked about L'Oreal. But it costed 4 times as much. Maybe it was all the French pretentiousness of the brands images that I liked. I was a make up snob! LOL 

Well, in my 30's reality set in.I no longer used credit cards and now was paying rent and car insurance etc. I loved the quality of the department store brands, but could only afford the drug store brands.My cosmetic bag was a hodge podge of really old  make up and whatever odd and ends I found that I liked at Walmart.

 Now in my 40's, in the age of the internet, I have discovered a new favorite, BH Cosmetics. It has the coolest products and the greatest color selection I have ever seen. Especially if you need true bright primary colors. Not many people use red,black,white,green,aqua but if you ever require them, BH has them. And they are very reasonably priced and have many sales throughout the year. They sell quality products with very pigmented colors. They have 5 different eye shadow sets that contain 120 colors a piece. The rest of the full size eye shadow kits contain 90 shadows and are available both in matte and shimmer.They also sell individual colors and mini kits, some with blush included. They sell lipstick and eye liner for under $5 a piece, all in a good variety of shades. Eye shadow seems to be their forte, since they have more of that than anything else on their website. I have been happy with all my purchases from there and I own a LOT from them. I can whole-heartedly recommend BH Cosmetics for all your cosmetic needs. Below is just a sample of some of the wonderful products sold by my new favorite cosmetic company, BH Cosmetics.

















No comments:

Post a Comment